The Monument commemorating the Great Fire of London

The city of London has a long and glorious history proof of which are the many historical landmarks and monuments to be found in the city. These range from medieval landmarks to contemporary attractions which attract record numbers of visitors to the capital every year. The city’s is one of the most popular of tourist destinations in Europe and has over 17 million visitors to its shores annually.

You will find places of tourist interest spread all over the city from Central London to the Metropolis London Hyde Park nearby attractions, which are popular with visitors to the city.

Great Fire of London Monument In fact the area is well known for its fine luxury hotels that offer the best of premium facilities like the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel, while being very competitively priced. While in the area one of the medieval attractions to visit that also offers great aerial views of the city is The Monument, which is located at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill. It was built to commemorate the Great Fire of London in 1666, and celebrate the city’s revival.

It is alleged that the conflagration started in a baker’s house in Pudding Lane on 2nd September 1666 and was only finally controlled and extinguished three days later on 5th September. It was a behemoth fire in the sense that is resulted in destroying more than half the city. Thankfully there was minimal loss of human life, although it utterly destroyed hundreds of streets and thousands of homes, including churches, buildings, the City’s gates, and St. Paul’s Cathedral. The only structures that were able to survive in its path were built of stone like the Guildhall and St. Paul’s.

It was decided to build a monument to commemorate the event with the designer being the great architect Sir Christopher Wren who worked on a design provided by Dr. Robert Hooke. It was built in the Doric column tradition that featured a column with a cantilevered stone staircase of 311 steps that would lead to a viewing platform. It was to be surmounted with a drum and copper urn from which flames surfaced, symbolic of the event. It stood at 61 metres which was the precise distance from the monument to the site where the fire had began on Pudding Lane.

The structure was completed in 1677 and was named The Monument. Initially it was used as a spot to conduct certain experiments for the Royal Society, but because of the constant vibrations due to heavy traffic this was discontinued. The public gallery standing at a height of about 160 feet, offered visitors a rare aerial opportunity to look across the city in all directions and it gained in popularity as a place of historical interest.

This entry was posted in London Guide. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *